Iechyd da! (cheers in Welsh)
Welsh flag inspired socks – comfortable tough socks for all people/Cymry.
- Crew length socks are made to fit adults, and made to be worn all day.
- the socks are high-quality, and machine washable.
- Elastic around the ankle and around the foot males for a better overall fit.
- Socks have a red toe and heel.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Wales is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch). It consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
– Source, Historic UK, here.
In case you are totally new to the subject, Wales is a part of the UK, along the west coast of Britain and across the water from Ireland. It is a mountainous area and proudly has its own language – Welsh.
My own history….
Fun fact: I actually tried to learn a little bit of Welsh when I was in Junior High School. Since then, I have remembered just enough to impress a few Welsh speakers I find in Seoul or in Hong Kong. Additionally, it is very fun to yell out “CHEERS!” in welsh when I see Welsh rugby fans out and about during the Hong Kong 7’s rugby tournament.
Why did I learn a little bit of welsh? I was told that my family comes from a small town in Wales. I believe the story goes that the 3rd son of a family ran off with the inn-keeper’s daughter and sailed to the USA.
– So not only did I make Welsh socks because I think it would be a fun unique item for a rather small number of people, but also because I might have a genealogical connection.